Sunday, November 11, 2012

I'm not drunk, I'm talking about PASSION

Friday night I attended a soiree for a prominent theatre company in St. Louis where I have worked on and off for over 20 years. It's fun to glam up and hang with your homies outside of the theatre or rehearsal hall.

And once again, I was kind of overwhelmed at the number of people who came up to me and asked about PASSION. "Tell me about your project,"" I heard you're doing something this spring," "what's up next for you?" (Okay that last one just allowed me to launch into talking about PASSION.) And here's the thing, while I did have a drink in my hand most of the night, I start nearly tripping over myself anyway when talking about the project. As I talk about it, I realize how many layers it has, how fully every aspect has been considered and reconsidered to make it a truly theatrical experience. So I get a little flushed, start babbling and mayhaps, one would think I was tipsy. But no. It just psyches me up to talk about this project and its imminent birth. And thankfully, I get responses like, "I just got goosebumps," or "that sounds amazing." These seem to me more genuine and excited responses than, great, wow, or uh-huh.

And might I say, it never hurts to have the big players on your side. Seeing you as something more than, let's say an actor, in my case. When those people express an interest, it legitimizes the project even more.

Saturday night I dragged my husband to see Pilobolus at the Touhill. If you've never seen this modern dance troupe, remember the weird name and get to see them when they come your way. The company is so inspiring to a bodies-in-space/movement freak like myself. The weight-sharing and precision movement is just what I needed to see to rejuvenate myself for the stylization of PASSION. And, BONUS!!! They did something which I will mimic to have just three people carry the body of Jesus to the tomb. Yay!

FYI: Today's Gospel is the first bit of scripture in PASSION. Serendipitous.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment