Thursday, November 15, 2012

The 3rd edition of the Spotlight Theatre PASSION newsletter was sent out this morning. Some of the topics covered thus far include the production details (what, where, when, etc), the sybolism of the white cloth, the text, the musical arc, the structure of the play, with links to the Skip Viragh Center, to this blog, and to Scribd, which has a powerpoint presentation.

This just in: PASSION received a very generous donation last night which will essentially pay for 8 actors. Sooooo, nine more actors to pay + the music director + the lighting designer + the stage manager + sets and costumes + venue rental. There are two fundraising ideas knocking around my head so have no fear, I'll get those details out ASAP.

Auditions are this coming Sunday, November 18 at the Skip. My prep for this is making copies of the script, getting the music for Greg Schweizer, Sunday's accompanist and PASSION's Music Director. Also trying to figure out the best way to assess someone's physical ability which is key to certain roles. I'm playing around with "how much can you benchpress?" and "how long can you hold the chair pose, balance on one foot, keep your arms outstretched?" and "think you can carry me across the room if I'm not holding on to you?" Aaaah, decisions, decisions.

But once casting is complete, I can adjust the pictures in my head by adding the faces and bodies of those cast. And that will be awesome.

I've been looking at my set and seating arrangement a lot too. Lucky for me, I am currently directing Chaminade's middle school play at the Skip and our set is one and the same, with a few minor adjustments. I so desire to have one scene played from the lighting catwalk but as I walked it yesterday, I might be cutting off 15 seats in terms of view. Blech. Waiting for inspiration on that one.

Next blog post will be about casting - fo' sho'






 

No comments:

Post a Comment