Sunday, January 13, 2013

Being a Producer: Awesome or Awful?

I came to producing by accident. I had started Spotlight Theatre with the intention of "doing" shows where St. Louis actors would be "spotlighted." (Get it?) My, oh my, there was a steep learning curve on everything from doing contracts, getting insurance, finding designers, doing press, running box office, you name it. I did it for 5 years straight and there is not much glory in it. It's exhausting even when you have adequate help. But I actually got pretty good at it. Have even been told by peers I really respect, that I'm a good producer.

When the exhaustion reached its peak, I quit doing shows for Spotlight and that's been the norm for the past 5 years, until PASSION. Even less than 1 year ago, I didn't want to revive my company until it seemed like the only way to get PASSION produced. And that's what producers do - they get stuff done.

So here's the last couple weeks for me:
I contacted a costume designer to make the veils and sashes. She was also helpful in directing me to aerial silks which are used in the show. She will work in tandem with the costume coordinator who is already working her magic!

I've filled out Equity contract applications and have gotten a paymaster in line. (BTW, Equity in Chicago is not particularly helpful. Something I had gleefully put out of my mind the last five years and have been recently re-introduced to. Joy.)

Finding rehearsal space - another favorite activity - NOT.

Sending out press and trying to convince people to give you some in advance. This is the most exciting thing to me....why not to you?

That DONKEY!!! The donkey's head is on the chopping block if I can't find something more reasonable than $500 a weekend.

Beginning this week, I will be making phone calls regarding group sales to performances. I am forcing myself to make 20 calls a day, which may not seem like a lot, but will honestly take me all day as I have to psych myself up for each one.

So what I have in store is a ton of work which is the awful part.
And when the show's complete and I can look back at all I did to bring PASSION to the stage, that will be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment