Monday, January 10, 2011

a new week

I started this blog with such enthusiasm last week, only to have things spiral away from me like water in my hands. Thursday through Saturday were extremely tough as I came to doubt my company, my God and my vision. Now, it takes a LOT for me to lose my poise  - oh, I can get angry, emotional, aggressive  - but I'm talking a full-on "the world is ending" meltdown. Most disturbing was my doubt in God, who I suddenly felt had stopped listening to me, and who clearly didn't want me to create this piece. As unbelieving as that sounds, given the nature of Passion, I most assuredly felt abandoned by the one who had inspired me in the first place. If that's not reason for a meltdown, I don't know what is! You can imagine how dark THOSE hours were! But I soon realized that He does answer prayers, it's just not always the answer we want, when we want them.

Without going into too much detail, I realized the "not now" answer was not "NO." An intervention of sorts occurred and my closest friends came to assist me. I am passionate about theatre - GOOD THEATRE. I revel in the way SATE artists create pieces that take your breath and equilibrium away. I find myself disappointed in theatre that leaves me unmoved. In truth, I have the expectation that every show I go to should be a religious experience, so those two things are completely intertwined for me. My vision of Passion is about this also. Without having a call to worship, an effort to find converts, or degrading any other faiths, I want to develop a piece about the universal themes present in the Passion: relationships between mother and son, friends, a betrayal, a corrupt government, strong arm tactics that can put a man to death when he has done nothing wrong. It is, for me, an ideal marraige of my faith and my calling. Whether or not it is your faith, I have yet to find the person who doesn't know who that man on the cross is and it's a riveting story to tell.

Passion will happen. Not exactly when I wanted it to, but when the timing is right. (Technically, it will most likely be pushed back just a bit to accomplish the vision.) I am so appreciative of the support I have received. I am blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Pam, your honesty about your feelings and sharing this journey are inspiring. Art isn't always easy, and your candid discussion about the process is important for all artists to hear. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does "pushed back just a bit" mean a few weeks, or are we talking Easter of 2012 here?

    ReplyDelete